Can a Brita filter get moldy? (Everything about moldy)

Photo of author
Written By John Stephen
I’m John, the person behind the aquahow blog. I love to investigate water conditions and ways of building water filters. Mostly for my aquariums and home use.

Yes. Brita filters get mold when their subsequent amount of organic materials are trapped inside the filter.

The filter becomes the home of the bacteria, where it multiplies and occupies a large area in a few days.

There is no protecting shield inside the Brita filter that prevents fungus growth.

Why is my Brita filter growing mold?

Mold would grow inside the Brita filter when it is not properly cleaned after every use. The local water reservoir contains organic material that passes through the tap water and reaches the Brita filter. 

This contaminated water would have tiny bacteria in the container sticking to the sidewall or inside the filter. Rinsing is needed to remove these bacteria else, and they start multiplying at room temperature. 

The cold temperature disables the reproduction of the bacteria also kills some of the harmful bacteria. Therefore, the manufacturer of the Brita filter urges people to store the filter in the refrigerator and only take the filter out when they want to use it. 

The filter cartridge has to deal with a good amount of contamination. While passing, the water through the cartridge captures the sediment, tiny particles, and minerals that eventually create a suitable condition for the bacteria to grow. 

Fungus development inside the filter is the most common outcome when the filter becomes contaminated.

Brita filter left in the kitchen for several days would offer sufficient time for the bacteria to reproduce and multiply quickly. The mold growth happens fast, making your filter foul and harmful for filtering the water.

Is mold in Brita pitcher harmful?

Yes. Drinking the water from the Brita filter containing mold could have a lethal impact on health. There are around 10000 variants in the mold that grows in wet and dark places. 

Molds are everywhere in indoor areas as they cannot survive long enough under direct sunlight. The development of the mold inside the filter could foul the water, and drinking such water would result in health issues.

Some variants or mold develop asthma in the person who drinks the contaminated water. A water-based surface is suitable for the development of the greenish, gray color mold inside the filter.

They are hazards to lung health. You could develop lung inflammation if you consume the water from the filter, which contains mold.

Fungi is another type of mold that quickly grows in colder temperatures. They occupy the space around the fabrics and start multiplying to expand their region. It causes respiratory issues in the person, and soon, your health will be fully compromised. 

What happens if you drink moldy water?

Drinking moldy water would have lethal health issues. The bacteria in the system will enter your body and start affecting your immune system, and the weak immune system will develop serious health issues. 

Also, some of the bacteria are known as fungus could occupy the space in your body and produce inflammation. You would need surgery to treat the internal inflammation and get rid of the growing fungus. 

Fungal infection is most common in people who drink contaminated water. Mody water produced from the Brita filter would also have serious issues on the organ.

The organ failure could lead to permanent damage. The harmful bacteria affect the lung by infecting its vital function, and lung inflammation could lead to serious health issues. 

So you should not take the moldy water lightly. Whenever you encounter a problem with the Brita filter, you should immediately change the filter and give it a clean wash to avoid any health issues due to the moldy water.

What are the side effects of drinking mold?

There are different types of mold found in contaminated water. Not all molds are harmful. But some of them give you a hard time when you consume a good amount of it. In most cases, the acid that develops in the stomach kills most harmful bacteria before they enter your system.

However, it is not powerful enough to deal with some of the stronger bacteria. 

Additionally, it will reduce the strength of your immune system, making it vulnerable to health issues. The left bacteria in your system could develop a feeling of nausea, diarrhea, cramping. Some people experience abdominal pain, vomiting, fever, and chills.

Whenever you observe these symptoms, immediately contact the family physician and get treatment to deal with the problem. It would have serious health issues if not treated in time.

How do you get mold out of Brita?

Before you decide to clean the Brita filter to remove the mold, inspect the condition inside the filter. If you find the filter is passing too much mold, then it is time to replace it.

Once the mold is developed inside the filter, it would be hard to clean. The only way to ensure safety is to get the new filter.

If the mold is significantly low, you can follow the below step to clean the Brita filter container.

  • Remove water and make it completely dry. Separate lid, reservoir, filter, and put them aside. Separate the component of the filter and take the pitcher apart. 
  • Use the dish soap to scrub and wash the lid and reservoir. Clean it thoroughly to remove any germs and contamination found inside the reservoir.
  • Next, take one teaspoon of white vinegar and mix it in one cup of water. Use the sponge to create the scrub and start applying it to all the components. A scrub will remove the mold and clean the element.
  • Rinse the component under the running water and clean it with fresh water.
  • Dry the parts with a dish towel or air drying. Do not keep wet components on the floor. It would allow the bacteria from the air to stick to the water and house again.
  • Once it is fully dry, you can again fix the parts and start using them. Cleaning is essential to keep the filter contamination free.

What is mildew vs. mold?

Mildew refers to mold or fungus, and the word is used for addressing mold growth. The mold contains all kinds of microscopic fungus, and these are tiny bacteria that multiply quickly and spread in the given space, and mold thrives in wet surfaces and organic matter. 

You will find them everywhere in the house, such as clothing, paper, wall, corners of the doors, floors. Anything that stays moist too long would support the development of the mold.

How do you get mold out of a Brita pitcher?

You can rinse the Brita filter under the running water. Use warm water to clean the filter. Do not put the filter in hot water, and it will damage the carbon system and membrane that filters the organic material. 

Make the vinegar scrub and apply it inside the reservoir and lid. Scrub it thoroughly to remove mold stuck in the interior of the container. Perform regular cleaning to ensure the water is contamination-free.

Can water filters grow mold?

Yes. There are many cases where users have reported that their water tastes terrible. The reason for the sour taste is the growth of the mold inside the filter or reservoir.

The moist environment allows the mold to develop and occupy the area. Mold growth in the filter is challenging to clean, and it is trapped inside and cannot be removed easily.

Can an old Brita filter make you sick?

Yes. The old Brita filter would have a good amount of organic material trapped inside the filter. When the water passes through the filter, its contamination gets mixed, making the water sour.

Drinking contaminated water could lead to various health issues. Also, it is harmful to vital organs. Therefore, one should not drink the water from the filter, which is too old and has not been used for several months.

To learn more about the effect of mold on human health, read the article, “Can you get sick from Brita filter? (Explained everything)”

If you follow the cleaning guide as suggested, the Brita filter will last longer. You would not have to make any changes or deal with the health problem while using it.