How much does it cost to shock a well ?

Photo of author
Written By John Stephen
I’m John, the person behind the aquahow blog. I love to investigate water conditions and ways of building water filters. Mostly for my aquariums and home use.

Cost of the shocking well range between $60 to $100. The cast varies depending on where you live. Do yourself method will reduce the expense significantly. You need Chlorine, 10 gallons bucket, and safety gear. In some regions, labor charges could be added to material costs.

Step by Step guide to shock a well

Water gets contaminated when it comes into contact with dirty water. Well, water gets contaminated and becomes cloudy. A shocking process involves using Chlorine to remove the bacteria from the water.

Also, the water smells terrible once the harmful substances are mixed in the water. Chlorine kills the bacteria and removes the toxic substances from the water, giving you clean water.

Amount of Chlorine needed

Chlorine is supplied in a different form. The liquid coloring and pallets of chlorine both work the same. Generally, 100 ppm chlorine is suitable for sanitizing the well-installed in the backyard of the house. Dry pellets are also popular when shocking a well with Chlorine.

Mix pallets with water

Next, take the chlorine pellets and mix them into the water. First att the water into the bucket, then put the chlorine pallets. If you place the Chlorine in the bucket and then add the water, it will react and generate toxic fumes.

Pour the mixture into the well

Slowly pour the mixture into the well. Use safety gloves and protect your eyes with safety goggles. The fumes released from the mixture could hurt your eyes. Empty the bucket and close the well to let the Chlorine do its job.

There are many other substances found in the well which need special treatment. Check the water quality frequently to ensure that the water comes out pure.

If the problem is not treated with Chlorine, you may use other solutions to remove the contamination.

There are many reasonable disinfection solutions available in the stores. However, you may need expert assistance to handle these chemicals. Chlorine is the safest substance out there for the well shocking.

Other chemicals are more lethal; therefore, experts must handle them. Hire a well shocking agency offering service in your region. They will inspect the condition of the well and provide the right solution to fix the problem.

Is shocking well Necessary?

The primary purpose of shocking a well is to remove the harmful bacteria developed in the water. There are many reasons why the water could get contaminated.

You should use the disinfection method to clean the water whenever you open the well for repair. Also, when the well is newly built, use the Chlorinated solution to shock the well.

Without shocking, the well will stay contaminated for an extended period. The water you pump out of the well would not be helpful for the drink and use for the home chores.

The growth of the bacteria produces various kinds of health problems. Therefore, it should not be used in the home without chlorinated.

The chlorine solution kills the bacteria and removes any harmful substances found in the groundwater. Once the groundwater is contaminated, it needs treatment.

Without treatment, the water will stay the same for a very long period. The contamination could spread, and you will never be able to use your well again. Shocking is the easiest way to clean the well. Also, the shocking well procedure is less harmful.

Using chlorinated water would not have serious health issues. It will only affect the harmful bacteria and not the soil or other living beings.

The Chlorine disappears naturally from the water, and you are left with a clean water supply.

How long does shocking a well last?

The shocking well lasts for around 12 to 24 hours. You shouldn’t pump the water during this period. The solution should get mixed in the water and spread into the reservoir properly to remove the contamination.

The Shocking process may also get extended for more than two days if you have a large pool and deep well.

If the well is connected to the automated water system that provides the water to the farm or animals, find the alternate water supply during this period and let the Chlorine do its cleaning job without disturbing the water.

Additionally, use the Chlorine solution to disinfect the tools used in the treatment, such as water heaters, softeners, pressure tanks, connected pipes, etc.

If you have a water softener or filters connected to the well, remove the carbon filter from the system. Pass the Chlorinated water from the filter and disinfect the entire system.

Every device and equipment connected to the well water should be Chlorinated to remove the bacteria and the harmful substance found in the water.

Disconnect any sensitive equipment and components before passing the Chlorinated water. Otherwise, it will damage the vital components.

Can I shock my own well?

Yes. The shocking process of household well is not that difficult. You need Chlorinated water to disinfect the well. It is the cheapest way to shock the well, and anyone can do it.

Generally, the well owners use the Chlorinated method to shock the well once or twice a year. It prevents biofouling in the water. Alternatively, you can hire licensed shocking experts to clean the well.

How long does it take for water to clear after shocking a well?

The shocking well method takes about 4 to 8 hours to remove harmful bacteria and substances from the water.

In the standard shocking practice, the Chlorinated solution is used to kill the bacteria and flush down the groundwater substances. Remember that the water may not look as usual.

The hard water gets clean, removing the cloudy layer generally found in the groundwater. It may look more clean and pure.

Ensure that you flush the Chlorine thoroughly from the plumbing system before using the water. Access amount of Chlorine is harmful to the skin. Also, drinking Chlorinated water could have a lethal health impact.

How long does it take to smell Chlorine after shocking well?

It may take 1 or 2 hours for the Chlorine to dissipate entirely from the water. After adding the Chlorine solution, wait for a few hours. Let the Chlorine spread in the water reservoir.

Turn on the pump and let the water come out from the pipe. If you smell the water after a few hours, the water will not have a dirty smell. It will be fresh and clean.

Smell the water every few hours to ensure the Chlorine is wholly removed from the water. If you experience the Chlorinated water even after 6 hours, let the water stay a few more hours.

Do not use Chlorinated water as it may damage your home equipment. The water filter gets affected with Chlorine. The internal compartment and carbon layer will become Chlorinated.

Hence, you should remove them before you pass the water the first time after doing the Shocking well. Turn off the entire system and disinfect the system properly.

If there is any contamination in the pipe and filter, it will get removed, and you will have a clean device for use.

Sediment in water after shocking well?

There are possibilities that the sediment will be left in the water even after using the shocking method. The groundwater contains several things such as Small particles, dirt, metal particles. The shocking method of using Chlorine to clean the well is not fully efficient.

It may clear the harmful bacteria, but it cannot remove large particles from the water. When you pump the water to the surface, these remainings will get pulled above, and water may show various kinds of sediments.

How long to run taps after shocking well?

The large portion of Chlorine might have dissipated from the healthy water. However, when running the pump the first time, ensure that you run the water in all the connected appliance and plumbing systems for a few minutes.

The water should be passed through the system to remove any leftover bacteria.

The Chlorinate water should be held in the plumbing system for 8 hours. Do not drink the water until the Chlorine smell is wholly removed. The water may cause skin damage. Also, it may produce irritation to the eye and nose.