According to one study, a person should drink up to 3.7 liters of water daily, equal to 2 to 4 plastic bottles of 1-liter capacity each. We all know that we rely too much on a plastic water bottle for our daily basis water needs. But have you ever spared some time and sat at the bank of the road thinking whether that water bottle is safe for you or not? Welcome and find peace here! Because in this guide, I will completely share every single piece of information about a plastic water bottle regarding the quality of water from it, a comprehensive buying guide to choosing one for your water filling needs, and much more.
So, spend your day with me. Ultimately, it would be easier for us to completely understand what plastic water bottles are and whether it is safe to rely on them. Please keep reading, and let’s get this conversation started!
Table of Contents
- What Are Plastic Water Bottles?
- Do Plastic Water Bottles Have Any History?
- With Which Materials A Plastic Water Bottle Is Usually Made Of?
- Plastic Water Bottles Made From Polypropylene(P.P.)
- Plastic Water Bottles Made From Polystyrene(P.S.)
- How To Choose A Plastic Water Bottle For Your Daily Basis Needs?
- Are Plastic Water Bottles Worth It?
- What Are The Pros And Cons Of Plastic Water Bottles?
- Which Type Of Plastic Water Bottles Are Safe For Drinking Water?
- Top 5 Brands To Buy Plastic Water Bottles While Living In the USA:
- Final Thoughts:
What Are Plastic Water Bottles?
Since I don’t think mentioning anything specifically different about a plastic water bottle because even a child living on the corner of the street knows what a plastic water bottle is and how it is to be used.
However, for some technical understanding, you should know that a plastic water bottle is a type of bottle that can either be constructed from a low-density plastic or a high-density plastic.
Plastic-made bottles are used for common purposes to store liquids like water, motor oil, shampoo, soft drinks, ink, milk, or medicine.
These water bottles come in various shapes, sizes, and designs, depending on the type of liquid stored in them.
Besides, some specially made plastic water bottles for consumers have integral handles and are shaped in a way that could facilitate easy grasping.
That’s the story about plastic water bottles and a brief introduction you might be curious to know.
Do Plastic Water Bottles Have Any History?
Like every other small or giant thing out there, plastic water bottles have a history. These convenient plastic-made water bottles were invented in the 19th century.
And they replaced all those other means of filling and carrying water. These means used to include rubber, ivory, shellac, etc.
For commercial needs, plastic water bottles first came into application in the year of 1947. However, these were quite expensive in those days, and until 1950 the conditions were the same.
But then, water bottles made from high-density plastic helped commercial and residential consumers purchase water bottles more economically.
Therefore, it was the beginning era of these plastic water bottles, and several benefits were known to the general public.
People have started taking these bottles seriously, and even to the present day, plastic water bottles have an impact that no one can invade.
But as it is true that everything comes with flaws, these plastic water bottles have them. We’ll take a closer look at these flaws and benefits in the next sections. So, please keep reading.
However, just in case you want to know more about water bottles, you can read our water bottle-ultimate guide, in which you can find comparisons between the types of water bottles.
Besides, it will provide more useful information to you! So, what else is stopping you from that?
With Which Materials A Plastic Water Bottle Is Usually Made Of?
Whenever you grab a plastic water bottle, you don’t give any attention to looking at which material it could be made of?
Because according to you, that’s simply plastic material, right? But that’s not the truth. A plastic water bottle can be made of several materials.
In case I am telling you everything, these materials are described as follows. Please keep reading to learn about each one by one.
Plastic Water Bottles Made With High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
The first and most prominent material used in the production of water bottles is HDPE. It is that material or resin which is most commonly and widely used.
It has pros and cons regarding water bottles and other product production. These are as follows!
- HDPE is impact resistant by providing an excellent moisture barrier.
- It is more economical.
- Thus, the material comes compatible with various products, including acids and caustics.
- It provides exceptional protection below freezing temperatures:
- HDPE is not compatible with solvents at all.
- Besides, such material is not supposed to be used with products requiring an airtight seal or filled above the temperature of 88 degrees Celsius.
Plastic Water Bottles Made With Low-Density Polyethylene(LDPE)
In the second position, the LDPE is another common material or plastic used to produce water bottles. It has the following pros and cons.
- LDPE is usually having a similar composition as the HDPE has
- It can be used wisely in the production of applications that can be squeezed
- It is not as rigid as HDPE is
- It is also a less chemically resistant material.
- LDPE is way more expensive than HDPE plastic
Plastic Water Bottles Made From Polyethylene terephthalate (PET, PETE) / Polyester
This type of plastic or resin has the most common uses in producing some carbonated beverages, some water bottles, and often in other food packaging stuff. It has the following pros and cons.
- Get some fantastic barrier properties with PET for alcohol and some essential oil.
- Generally, it proves to be a good chemical-resistant material.
- It comes having a relatively higher degree of tensile strength as well as impact resistance.
- However, you may not find PET a good resistance at some relatively high temperatures. The maximum temperature can bear 90 to 95 degrees Celsius.
Plastic Bottles Made From Polycarbonate Or (P.C.):
When it comes to building some plastic water bottles that should be transparent or clear to put milk or water inside, P.C. is all worth it.
This material doesn’t reveal much information, but it is accepted to be a good one for producing five-gall water bottles!
Plastic Water Bottles Made From Polypropylene(P.P.)
When you need to build some jars or closures from plastic, consider using P.P. It has the following pros and cons:
- PET is a much more rigid material and is a good barrier against moisture.
- Even at a temperature of up to 104 degrees Celsius, PP remains completely stable.
- Get advantage of steam sterilization with it.
- It can easily be used with some hot fill products because it can bear more temperature wisely.
- P.P. also provides an excellent chemical resistance
- This material is not that good and has a relatively poor impact resistance in cold temperatures.
Plastic Water Bottles Made From Polystyrene(P.S.)
P.S. is another material with which you can make some sort of water bottles. Such material has the following set of pros and cons:
- P.S. is a remarkably transparent and excellently rigid material.
- You can commonly use it with all those dry products, including spices, vitamins, and some sot or petroleum jellies.
- However, the material is not good with all those barrier properties.
- Moreover, it also shows some poor impact resistance features.
Plastic Water Bottles Made From Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC):
PVC also comes down to the list of materials used to produce water bottles. This has the following set of pros and cons:
- You will find this material clear naturally.
- The material has proved to be highly resistant to oils.
- Get an excellent drop impact resistance with this material that provides a rigid barrier to most gases.
- PVC Could be very dangerous or even vulnerable to some solvents.
- At high temperatures, the material shows very low and poor resistance.
- It can easily distort at almost 71 degrees Celsius.
- Such low temperature makes it incompatible material against those hot-filled products.
- Also, some severe and potential health risks are associated with this plastic material.
Plastic Water Bottles Made From Bisphenol A (BPA):
Lastly, some plastic water bottles are also made from BPA. This raw material can be used to manufacture those plastics.
These include Polycarbonates and some type of epoxy resins. It has the following pros and cons:
- Usually, BPA has no significant pros to define or say to a customer.
- Because on the cons side, it is a toxic chemical.
- It can contaminate your liquid quality.
- And BPA can cause many diseases you might never know.
How To Choose A Plastic Water Bottle For Your Daily Basis Needs?
Now, suppose you are at the point where you want to buy a plastic water bottle for yourself. In that case, how would you justify that the water bottle is going to be good for you?
Believe me, doing this is simply because you have to remember important things when choosing a water bottle made from plastic.
These factors or things are described as follows. Please have a look!
Even if you buy a plastic water bottle, you must check which material it is made of.
In all cases, your plastic water bottle must be BPA-free, and it doesn’t have any printing like BPS, P.C., or number 7 on it.
Moreover, that plastic water bottle must be durably made and should be the one to stay with you for a longer duration. It would value your money!
The Brand’s Specification From Where You Are Purchasing:
Purchasing a plastic water bottle from the right brand and only from the Authentic brand that sells BPA-free and quality-made plastic water bottles is essential.
Because if you do not do enough research about that brand, you may end up wasting your money only on a mere product.
Such a product may not be healthy for your body and may not have the safest environment to keep water inside.
Water Bottle’s Design:
Design is something that would totally depends on your intentions. Usually, plastic water bottles are made for single using purposes.
However, some quality reusable plastic water bottles are made from high-density plastic. These come with various designs, printings, and colors.
You can have a plastic water bottle for your kids, if you are a husband, then for your wife, and if you are a wife, then for your husband.
Or to gift someone a plastic water bottle made with a totally distinctive and unique design or style.
The Perfect Size For Your Needs:
This is another thing that would depend on your own needs. Even before buying a plastic water bottle, you have to decide what exactly would be the size you are looking for.
Are you in search of a water bottle to use on a daily basis?
That would defiantly come in 1 to 2 liters. But if you have some more plans to make sure the water supply of a whole home, you might want to buy a 5-gallon plastic water bottle.
Again, that totally depends on you!
How can a water bottle bless you with some additional features? Yes, it can. Because you can buy one with an integrated handle made for easy grasping and carrying needs.
You may also find plastic water bottles with straws that would let you enjoy some other versatilities to drink liquid or water from a water bottle like that!
Are Plastic Water Bottles Worth It?
In one way, water bottles are worth it because you don’t have to pay huge amounts of money to buy them.
Plus, a single-use water bottle helps you stay hydrated whenever you have nothing nearby to drink water from.
You can purchase it by spending some bucks from your nearby store or shop. On top of that, these plastic water bottles are totally recyclable, which means you can recycle these to produce new bottles.
Or you can use that recycled material to produce some other products.
However, there are still some significant parts where you may not find these water bottles worth having compared to other water bottles such as glass or stainless steel.
What Are The Pros And Cons Of Plastic Water Bottles?
Plastic water bottles come with their own significant advantages and disadvantages.
Therefore, to become a customer who buys a water bottle made from plastic, you must have an idea of all the advantages and disadvantages that these water bottles offer.
Please look at the table below to learn about all the pros and cons of plastic water bottles.
|Advantages Of Plastic Water Bottles||Disadvantages Of Plastic Water Bottles|
|Highly and easily affordable for most customers, even reusable water bottles||There could be several Health concerns related to these water bottles|
|Lightweight and easy to carry to any place||Not really eco-friendly and good for the environment|
|A wider versatility as these are available in many shapes, designs, and sizes||Plastic starts losing its quality more quickly|
|Made from a number of plastic materials, each having its own unique specifications||Not safe inside the dishwasher|
|Sometimes durable, sometimes single use, and sometimes squeezable||Not safe under the extreme temperatures|
|It could go smelly over a long run|
Which Type Of Plastic Water Bottles Are Safe For Drinking Water?
That bottle must be properly made to ensure you drink pure, clean freshwater free from all chemicals, even from a plastic bottle.
You should always choose a water bottle made from BPA-free material and those made with HDPE, LDPE, PET, etc.
In that case, you will stay away from health problems and always drink safe water from a water bottle.
Top 5 Brands To Buy Plastic Water Bottles While Living In the USA:
Remember where I told you that choosing the right brand is also essential to choose a quality made water bottle?
Yes, you do. Please look at these top 5 brands from which you can buy some excellent water bottles plastic in the USA.
|Brands||Products You Can Find Here||Country/region||Price Factor for a plastic water bottle|
|POGO||Plastic water bottles of different sizes||USA||From 20 to 80 USD with varying size and capacity|
|Nalgene||Plastic Water Bottles Accessories Kids||USA||From 10 To 90 USD for a water bottle with a unique size and capacity|
|Contigo||Water Bottles Mugs Tumblers Barware Kids Accessories||USA||Starting from 10 USD to 70 USD with unique size and capacity|
|Mainstays||Water bottles||USA||Starting from 10 USD to 90 USD with size and capacity|
|Milton||A service-based company also selling plastic water bottles||USA||Starting from 10 USD to 100 USD with size and capacity|
So, hopefully, I can be sure that this buyer guide on a plastic water bottle might have helped you understand many things. Now, if you have read it thoroughly, you can easily decide which type of plastic water bottle you need. Besides, I hope I have helped you understand all the materials with which these plastic water bottles are made. And along with their relative pros and cons. Moreover, I tried to give you some famous brands to buy a plastic water bottle if you really want one. But even after all of this you have got some queries, you must let me know.
But all thanks to you for spending time and staying connected with me till the end. You can read more about water and its products on this website. And don’t forget to keep visiting for the latest news on water. Take care of yourself. Drink safely, and live happily!